Westmill Solar Co-operative is delighted to announce that its Community Grants Scheme for 2023 is now open for applications. This initiative aims to support projects for local community organisations within Oxfordshire or within a 25 miles radius of the Westmill Solar Farm.
These grants aim to fund projects that:
- Raise awareness of climate change, its solutions and how to reduce its impact,
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions of individuals, organisations and communities, through energy generation, energy efficiency, or more efficient use of resources,
- Reduce fuel poverty to ensure everyone can access and afford the energy they need.
The full criteria for applications can be found in the guidance notes here: https://westmillsolar.coop/westmill-community-funding/
Applications for grants of up to £5,000 will be accepted until midday Monday 25th September 2023. During this period, eligible organisations are invited to submit their project proposals for consideration.
Since the Westmill Solar Farm was installed, the Westmill Solar Cooperative has supported many local initiatives that aligned with the cooperative principles of concern for community and sustainable development, co-operation between co-operatives and similar social enterprises, and education, training and sharing information. Examples of projects that have previously been funded include:
- the installation of solar PV panels and insulation for community buildings,
- community transport initiatives
- in 2022, funding for several local energy advice groups to help them support local people through the energy crisis.
This is just a small snapshot of what has been funded in the past, made possible through the Westmill Solar Cooperative’s members’ ongoing commitment to sharing the profits from its renewable energy production with the community. More information about projects that were funded last year can be found here: https://westmillsolar.coop/2023/02/09/westmill-solar-closes-its-third-round-of-its-community-grants-scheme/
If your organisation – or an organisation you know of – has a project that you think would be eligible for the funding, please visit https://westmillsolar.coop/westmill-community-funding/ for further information and access to the application forms. Applications must be received by midday Monday 25th September.